Thursday, September 19, 2019

"The Truth About Writing"

We went into the oldest bookstore in Wisconsin.  Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota put into their original constitution that land should be set aside for a public university.  The purpose of their universities was, indeed, to teach the wisdom and knowledge of the ancients and all branches of study, BUT in addition, to solve the problems of the people, to do research, to discover and create new knowledge and understanding.  That forwarding looking stance was the tip for me to teach in the Badger State.


It is a state with a history of good research, imagination and science.  Its oldest bookstore is in Wausau, the Janke bookstore, selling books since 1919, one hundred years ago.  


Normally, I buy ebooks and I buy them for my Kindle.  They are fast to get and are cheaper than paper books.  But I could tell right away that this little book wasn't going to get into Kindle format.  So, I bought it


It is a collection of short quotes about writing from writers.


There are some wonderful quotes, such as this one from David Wagner

"So a writer walks into a bar.  No, make that a writer walks into a dark, smoky bar. No, let's try a writer looks furtively around the bar, walks into it.  That doesn't work. How about a lanky, tanned writer with a prominent chin...nope. The bar beckoned to the writer and finally he...not that either.  OK, the writer, a blank look on his gaunt face, stumbles into… Let me get back to you, this could take a while.


Most of the quotes are quite short and all are identified by author.  I have fun in a time-consuming, geeky way, looking up the authors I haven't met before.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby