Friday, August 18, 2023

Whose night is it?

Lynn and I cook dinner for the two of us on alternate nights.  She has told me often that anybody can cook if they read cook books.  Last night was my night to cook but we took eight of our family members to dinner at Chili's.  Our usual practice is to carry over the turn to the next night so tonight is still my night. We have adopted the increasing trend to buy ready-made meals and we have several in our refrigerator now.   


We have a range of restaurants around.  Lynn is a good cook and experienced at quick meals and elaborate ones.  I can keep from starving and I provide balanced and healthy meals for us.  We have two restaurants that are about 20 miles away, one to the south and one to the north.  I like them both but Lynn increasingly rejects them both as too much driving is required.  


Our nearest supermarket is Walmart's and it really does often lower prices.  We find that traveling a bit further and buying at one of the other stores costs $5 or more dollars more for the same foods.


It is odd that on nights I cook, I spend less time and effort on the meal.  It is the other job, clean-up that takes the most time. I think we both feel choosing the foods and cooking them is a bigger worry than clean-up.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby