Sunday, August 20, 2023

Upgrading heaven

I think I am more scheduled than most people.  I think my childhood concept of heaven is in need of adjustment.  Just as people need variety in many avenues, I think humans, me and others, are not built for continuous heavenly bliss.  I have read that Buddha said that everything changes.  In a grad school psych course on psychophysics, I learned that even our vision needs refreshing.  In a similar way, I guess that our appreciation of beauty or peace or harmony is improved by fluctuations.  Some amount of change and challenge probably improves our ability to feel gratitude and related positive emotions.


I find that doing a little habitual scheduling improves my ability to be positive and alert to my life.  At 10 AM most days, I have some ginger, a date, some whole almonds and some dark chocolate.  On Sunday and Wednesday, I have a cup of Starbucks Instant Pikes Peak coffee.  On other days, I have a cup of green tea.  That schedule has served me well and I look forward to the effect of extra coffee and to a cup of green tea when I have it.  


Generally, I form habits pretty easily and I keep them.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby