Saturday, August 19, 2023

A Lovely Little Town

We sometimes buy some pastries for a Saturday bread\kfast.  Lynn often goes to the farmers' market and buys, especially mushrooms.   The mushroom man knows lots about growing them.  As I was getting ready to drive to the market, I asked if she would rather I just went alone and brought back pastries.  I am still reeling from the enthusiastic sound wave that washed over me in response to my question.  That was what she was hoping I would get around to suggesting!  That's how it turned out that I drove from east of town down to the market square.


Driving alone on a gorgeous morning got me reflecting on the size and character of this town.  Why would a young PhD move to a little town and live there for 55 years?  The main answer is that this town has a School of Education.  Which means a young PhD in Experimental Design, Testing, and Statistical Analysis could be offered a teaching job.  The man, his wife and two daughters could like their life in that town of 25,000 and live there for fifty-five years. 


The little town is not so little by some standards.  Our first Stevens Point neighbors introduced themselves and explained they were not used to such a large city.  They had moved here for the medical care their daughter could get here.  They had moved here from a town of 500.


Our town has some excellent parks, good schools, vistas, facilities, athletic events and teams.  We have been notably fortunate to have our grandchildren and our greatgrandchildren living close to us since they were born.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby