Monday, July 31, 2023

Some themes

Hydration - Better hydration has made me feel quite a bit better.  A nurse practitioner advised me to try for 50 oz. of plain water.  On some days, 50 or three 16 oz. drinks are too much.  I have been gulping down a pint when I wake up.  

Ideas for writing - I find if I don't write them down, they float away.  I have read that older people often forget what is on their mind if they walk through a doorway.

Aging - It can be helpful to hear about other people's physical problems but I am not them.  If his arm falls off, will mine?

Cranberries - I noticed the other day that cranberries have a place in my life.  They grow in boggy or flooded ground and central Wisconsin has some good places.  I put a handful of dried cranberries in the Sunday morning oatmeal I make for us.  We read "Two Old Women", the story of two elderly Native American women who were sufficiently old at a time when their tribe was stressed for food.  They were abandoned but the two had skill and knowledge and found cranberries to live on.  

Decoding sounds into words - We can see that hearing, vision, knees, hips and other parts may wear out or cease to function adequately.  My audiologist said it is not the part of my brain that detects sound that is failing but the part that makes noises into meaningful language.  I am a bother to Lynn since I can understand what she says after she says it the second time.  

Getting medicines - I have been having more trouble with acid reflux.  I was given a prescription for famotidine but I ran out.  I have some on order but there was a holdup in getting it.  Lynn suggested I ask a pharmacist for an over-the-counter alternative.  She showed me Famotidine sitting right on the shelf.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby