Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Hidden parts of me influencing me

When I think of my mind and some of its mysterious parts and books about it, several come to up.  

  1. Incognito by David Eagleman

  2. Seven and a Half Lessons about Your Brain by Lisa Feldman Barrett

  3. A Mind of Its Own by Cordelia Fine

  4. Before You Know It by John Bragh

  5. The Brain that Heals Itself by Norman Doidge

  6. The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge


I have this web page of books I have found valuable:


https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/books-about-the-unconscious


On that page, I also mention Wray Herbert, a professor who has worked on aspects of writing and ideas coming to mind about what to write about and what to write.  I wrote my dissertation in 1968 and the book "Thinking: Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman and related work by Kahneman and Tversky was a central source.

Quite a few ancient thinkers were impressed with human deliberate thinking and of course they were influenced by emotions, politics, and their upbringing.  In general, it is difficult to think about our unconscious minds.  The very word "unconscious" means that despite that part of me being in me and influencing me, I can't easily tell what it is up to.  Eagleman, mentioned first above, and Cordelia Fine make clear that analysis of what goes on in our heads, may include notification of a decision we have decided on only as the last step in our process.  My favorite examples include tossing a crumpled paper where I used to keep the trash can but no longer keep it there and turning to where we used to keep a towel for drying hands.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby