Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Another literacy

I often mention books that seem relevant to a conversation.  Since there are so many forces and opportunities to read, some degree of reading ability seems to be part of being an American adult. I guess being able to read can be assumed for most people.  So, when I read that literacy rates in the US are about 80%, I am surprised. Of course, there are many definitions of reading and even of seeing.  I just looked at some answers to the questions about blindness.  These days, large print, braille and machines that can read aloud can make a big difference.  


Various sorts of "literacy" are commonly referred to.  Ads will mention places that can improve one's financial, veterinary, or nutritional literacy.  In my college days, I read texts aloud to a blind professor for income.  I didn't know my Greek letters at all well and there were times when I had to describe the squiggly shape of some symbols to try to convey meaning.  My literacy is limited, almost completely to English.


I have found it interesting to read and think about being able to read.  I read that the great French king Charlemange could not read, but wanted to and hoped to learn.  I read that he kept a book under his pillow to improve his ability to learn to decipher writing.  


I have been thinking about smartphone literacy.  I have a semi-smartphone.  It is not an Apple phone and when I see Lynn using hers, I feel deprived, under-educated, illiterate.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby