Saturday, July 8, 2023

Lured!

Yesterday, I was invited by philosopher friends to talk to them about sin.  After boldly announcing there was no such thing, I have thought again. I can see that if I kill my brother, that act may be morally wrong as well as socially and legally punished.  I think what I dislike is the idea of "original sin".  I am not a religious scholar but as I understand it right now, all of humanity is stained forever by the disobedience of Adam and Eve in regard to eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  


As in so many things, Eve, looking so fetching and curvy, is basically responsible.  "The woman, which thou hast given me, she did offer and I did eat." I ask you, is it plausible that a guy would disobey God and do what he has been explicitly told not to do, just because the mother of all humankind offers an apple?


There were alternatives available.  Hypnosis or drugs or the right combination could have been employed to wipe out the memory of that apple-gained knowledge.  But no, my great grandchildren are supposed to be burdened by punishments of pain in childbirth and the requirement of deep effort and sweat procuring food because Cutie there couldn't resist the fruit. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby