Friday, July 28, 2023

Interfaces on computer and tablet

When I compose a message on an iPad or similar tablet, I don't have the same computing power as when I compose using a computer.  The iPad is an Apple product but my computer uses Microsoft's Windows operating system.  Sometimes, when I am sitting in the living room and my iPad is close at hand, I use it, holding it with one hand while pecking away with the other, mostly because I am too lazy to get up and walk all the way to the office for the faster, more powerful computer.  I am impressed at the difference between the two products, Apple and Microsoft.  


The Windows operating system is installed on 1.6 billion machines while the iPad is used by 550,000,000.  Those figures say that Windows is used by 29 times as many machines.  What I see and can use on my monitor or tablet is usually called an "interface."  I am impressed at the more powerful tools available to a Gmail user on a computer that are not available on a tablet.  


My first home computer was an Apple IIe and it was very good.  I still have a Mac and it is up-to-date and fine.  I read "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and learned that for Jobs and Wozniak, it was fundamental to control many aspects of the design and manufacture of their computer.  I had had some instruction in coding and use of a large computer and I knew how limited a handmade product could be.  But, when Apple came out with the package called Appleworks, a word processor, spreadsheet and limited data base, Lynn gave me the package to go with my first computer, that Apple IIe.  

It was a delight and changed my life and teaching.


Our first iPad was and is a blessing.  For me, getting email and taking and sharing photos on the iPad is unmatched.  But I recommend doing things on a computer at least some of the time just to see the difference.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby