Thursday, January 12, 2023

Thinking about a book I read 60 years ago

Ever since a member of my book group asked if we had already read a book, I have been charged up about reading.  There are many, many aspects of reading.  The main question I have been thinking about is 

"What remains in me after reading a book?"


I expect whatever memories, habits, convictions I develop from reading a given book may be difficult to detect.  After all, there are many times when I hear about a book, think I might want to read it or at least look it over (table of contents, sample), look it up on the Amazon site only to read a little message "You already own this book".  I guess about half the time I read that, I didn't remember having ordered it or downloading it from Amazon.  


I am a fan of "Incognito" by Eagleman and "Seven and a Half Lessons about Your Brain" by Barrett and I realize that my aging brain is limited in its ability to recall, anything actually, especially in less than 10 minutes.  So, it helps me to stay aware that there are lots of other parts of me than just what I can consciously and quickly tap into.  For example, we used to keep a dish towel hanging from a kitchen drawer to the right of the sink.  For the last three or four weeks, we have placed it to the left. Most days, I turn to the right, find no towel, recall the new location and turn to the left.  


So, as much as I like me, I refuse to simply assume what I can't remember has left no trace in me.  My wife is steadily working with me to recall events that are clear in her mind, events I witnessed and/or participated in, that I don't recall, at first. 


The other reading anchor I use to mark my college reading is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.  That book is readily available today and I had already purchased it in e-format, unlike The House of Intellect.  I read some and was struck, even emotionally, by the power and directness of the writing.  Lewis makes clear that he put the book together to use on the radio to British troops in WWII.  The writing is simple, direct and very clear.  I have never been convinced by the arguments but damn, it is good writing!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby