Thursday, January 5, 2023

Notes noted in notebooks and random slips of paper

Many older people have trouble remembering names. What is the name of that pharmacist's assistant who has been so helpful?  What is the name of that city in the south of France where we had such a good time?  I have read that maybe the memory banks are full.  I have also read that older people who cannot recall a name

  1. Know they know it, damnit!

  2. Can often remember that name 15 minutes later in the midst of something else

My sister and I agreed that older people often want a pencil and paper handy to

  1. Write down what they want to remember

  2. The item sought when it comes to mind

These facts can explain the presence of paper swamps, waves of various sizes of paper sheets, sometimes in pastels lying here and there on older people's desks, workbenches or stacked in file cabinets, glove compartments and wallets.


It is not unknown to try and remember peoples' birthdays, get clerical and list them while omitting to label them.  That is how I wind up with a list of dates without identifying information as to what these are dates of or who.


Maybe you have heard of research that supports the idea of difficult doorways.  The work shows that memory disappears when passing through a doorway.  Thus, I decide to look up my friend's email address but by the time I go to the other room, I have forgotten my mission.  


These are all factors behind higher notebook sales in cities and towns with more people over age 65.  I am trying to discipline myself to get up and find this week's notebook, to use it to note ideas and problems, and to avoid making lists of unlabeled items.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby