Sunday, January 8, 2023

Two shows we like

We don't always agree on what to read aloud or what to watch. But it can happen and when it does, the agreement by itself is satisfying.  Two streaming programs we have both enjoyed are "Recipes for Love and Murder," on Acorn TV and "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS.  I find that we both think of scenes and themes from the two shows throughout the day, not just when we are watching.


Recipes is set in South Africa and Creatures in a small English town.  But the two shows do not draw on their time or place very much.  The heroine of Recipes is basically a cook who specializes in recipes but gets drawn into personal advice a la Abby.  The three main characters in Creatures are veterinarians, in an area and at a time when farm animals are important.  Of course, anywhere in the world, domesticated animals can be important to livelihoods and lives.  Sometimes, a doggie is the main focus of someone's attention and affection.


One thing that has gotten my attention in both shows is what strikes me as poor manners.  Some of the ways women are treated in Recipes seem atrocious and would definitely cause serious trouble in my family.  The way the senior of three men acts toward the two others in Creatures and all three act toward their woman housekeeper are noticeably poor.


I have never been female but I am a fan of members of that group.  I think men typically underestimate the intelligence, forbearance and range of female thinking.  My mother used to say that young women would be better off if they developed a bit more courage and confidence.  The general drive of men to try to win and to stand out enables them to attempt acts which are often foolish or offensive or damaging to themselves but occasionally they succeed where they would not have without trying.  


I get the feeling that young women try to be sensitive to the opinion of their female peers and that female peers are often critical and/or jealous.  As a male, when I add in female efforts to avoid anyone anywhere disliking or disapproving of them, their mannerisms, dress, ideas, etc., I am glad I can assume from the start that others, poor things, will disapprove of me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby