Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Using tools

The smart bot ChatGPT is in the news.  I have looked in the Apple app store and counted 8 apps that say they use this new bot, which is said to be very intelligent.  I read that it has already passed tests in four different law school courses.  I have also read that some schools and colleges are worried that the app will produce very good essays for their students who may use them to get dishonestly high grades.  I taught distance ed courses, the sort of course where the test is answered at home by the student and the answers are sent to the professor by email.  I often wondered if a student might be a relative or friend who was an expert in the subject of the course to answer my questions and do my assignments.  


There was an occasion where a student handed in about 4 assignments which were terrible.  Then, here comes a 5th assignment that was really excellent.  Trying to ferret out what might be behind such an impressive jump in quality, I typed his first sentence into Google.  I immediately got his entire paper. He had given no information about aides and handed in the paper as his original work.  I described what I had done and stated that what he had handed in would receive no credit for the assignment.


If I go to a psychotherapist who uses that bot or other tools to get answers for my treatment, I don't think I would care or object if the treatment helps me.  I expect a professional who works for me to consult textbooks and maybe huddle with other professionals about my case.  If the bot can do as well or better for me, I hope it does get used.  Many courses require papers and the usual steps include requiring the writer to list sources used.  When I went to school, we didn't have computers or internet or search engines.  We didn't have email or texting.  Generally, we want and expect students at all levels to use all the relevant tools they can. We may require good use of tools.


I have been thinking about the use of modern possibilities.  I am sure I would not be received well if I said that students could not use horses or trains or cars or planes to get to test sessions but had to walk, as their far-back ancestors had to. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby