Friday, January 27, 2023

Skepticism and doubts

A typical phrase that comes up when educators discuss high school and college curriculum is "critical thinking."  My philosophy friends are schedled to discuss skepticism (a.k.a. scepticism).  As I think about doubt, misinformation, rumor both founded and unfounded, I think of three types:

  1. Statistical doubt

  2. Evidential doubt

  3. Simple doubt


When authors state that the French this or boys that, I more or less automatically think "I might be able to find a French man or woman who does not do that or a boy who doesn't and didn't.  I gain from learning what some French people do but I realize that any large group many have members who disagree with the majority in that group.  I think the influences of science, scholarship and modern American emphasis on the individual and maybe other forces and sources urge people to doubt, use their imaginations and their ability to find and compare sources and ideas create doubters and disagreement.  When I add in the picture of heroically heading a different idea or group or faction, wearing unifying t-shirts, I think I spot a reason why it can be profitable or outstanding to disagree.


"Evidence" is a word that comes up often in discussions.  Sometimes there is a paucity of evidence.  What is presented may be, in my judgement, irrelevant facts or demonstrations.  The opposing attorney shows the man that shot my client in another location trying to make the jury think that the accused could not have traveled from that location to the place of the shooting in time for when the shooting happended.  If I can prove that the picture was taken a week before the shooting, the demonstration is irrelevant.  Still, I admit that the mass of the evidence is evaluated by judgment, not any kind of measurement.


Simple doubt may be very, very strong doubt, aside of any evidence or argument.  I just can't believe that my loveable grandma would ever do what you accuse her of doing.  "I know her too well.'


The schools do tend to arouse and praise critical thinking.  Maybe there should be a law against them doing that.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby