Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Bots

I have used electronic computers and devices since the late 60's.  One of the first that could do something other than process arithmetic fast was "Eliza".  t.ly/5rq-  You can use this shortened link to try Eliza out.  She is a "Rogerian therapist" and you can tell her your problem and she will help think of ways to deal with it.  I tried this version out just now.



I started with a complaint about how my mother bugs me and Eliza wanted me to be more polite, like by saying Hello.  


I got started on this theme of bots that seem intelligent because I read about ChatGPT.  I just looked in the Apple app store and I found many apps that claim to be powered by the ChatGPT.  Some publicity has it that OpenAI's language model has been fed hundreds of examples of text and that ChatGPT has a billion parameters.  Generally, "parameters" are variables that control or influence output or performance. So, for example, parameters relating to a college wrestler might be age, weight, experience, win-lose record and current level of condition.  


I have seen dire predictions that this superbot will eliminate higher education because of its reliance on a student's ability to write, which ChatGPT can fake.  I am not clear on the difference between sending students to the campus library and having them read texts, articles, opinions, etc. which then get quoted or summarized in papers and the use of a clever bot.  Cathy O'Neil (a.k.a. "Mathbabe") reacts to the subject here:

https://mathbabe.org/2023/01/11/chatgpt-neither-wise-nor-threatening/

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby