Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Mornings

My mornings can get busy.  Now that it is closer to the winter solstice, Dec. 21, the days are short.  Dark longer in the morning, dark earlier in the afternoon. We have many windows and all the shades need to be lowered in dark and raised in light.  


This morning as I was raising shades and opening curtains, what do I see but a mosquito?  It's 20° outside and we have a mosquito??   It does make sense. The poor little thing barely has the energy to stay alive with our temperatures.  I saw another hiding in the house a couple of days ago.  I made the mistake of thinking I was fast enough to smack it with my hand.  Nope!  It just glides away, ever so gracefully just at the moment I would have killed it. Today, I took no chances.  Went and got the fly swatter.  Not the heavy one but the light plastic one.  Smoosh!  Gone!


Today is our first genuine on-the-ground snow.  This past weekend was the beginning of deer hunting season here and a reasonable amount of snow helps in tracking the deer.  Between eating shrubs and gardens and jumping in front of moving vehicles while in the grip of sex hormones, we don't want too many deer around.  


The other morning, a young male deer with one immature antler broken off wandered nonchalantly along in front us on our morning walk.  The deer don't act panicked by us usually but this guy was especially relaxed and unimpressed.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby