Friday, November 13, 2020

Yesterday's talk

Yesterday was the first time in a long while that I didn't write in this blog.  I usually skip writing when I am traveling but yesterday, I wasn't.  I was quite busy.  


I had a talk online for the Wausau learning in retirement part of the UW campus.  We only had three people and me in the Zoom session but I myself enjoyed it very much.  The talk was about the book "Incognito" by David Eagleman but the questions and comments ranged over neuroscience and human brains, theology, politics, and the subject of other sources of related information.  Here is a link to the page of topics and books I mentioned:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/incognito-links-and-comments-1


I did also mention the book "The Brain that Changes Itself"by N. Doidge. Dr. Doidge has a follow-up book called "The Brain's Way of Healing." There are many other books that can be a source and a help, such as Eagleman's follow-up "Livewired".  The title relates to the subject of what is often called 'brain plasticity', the changes and re-wiring that occur throughout life.  A related book is "Soft-Wired" by Michael Merzenich, an expert and pioneer in the area of brain studies.


Yesterday, a sharp and witty friend reported that he had a buddy who tried meditation.  Meditation is a handy, inexpensive and easy tool for knowing oneself as much as possible, for developing ease and comfort being the miraculous creature you are.  But, the buddy had trouble.  As with many people, the buddy concluded that he just didn't have the mind for meditation and quit.  My friend reads this blog and learned that I meditate and find it valuable and quick.  This "friend" stated that it was clear to him that "if Bill Kirby can meditate, anyone can".  He took up the practice of meditating, keeping his attention on counted breaths and "lassoing" his mind back whenever he found it had wandered off.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby