Friday, November 20, 2020

Men, women and teaching

Two women professors published an article about caring in academia.  I think that is a very interesting subject.  US education is often thought of as elementary, secondary and higher.  "Academia" is often a word to refer to post-high school education.  One way to think about US education after high school is two-year school, four year school and graduate/professional school like medical or law school.  


I advised the authors to take a look at "Fighting for LIfe" by Walter Ong (1912-2003).  

Walter Jackson Ong SJ was an American Jesuit priest, professor of English literature, cultural and religious historian, and philosopher. His major interest was in exploring how the transition from orality to literacy influenced culture and changed human consciousness. Wikipedia

I had no plans to become a 5th grade teacher but one thing led to another and I did.  I have been a male all my life but you can't become an American elementary school teacher without being aware of gender in that profession and in life.  I got an emphasis in maleness in my public all-boys high school and a reverse emphasis in college.  Teachers were in demand so the price of teachers college was right so I didn't notice at first that 80% of the students were women.  Experiencing fathers and coaches and natural masculinity, and contrasting that with a put-down for being male by my first public school teaching in the 3rd grade, I am aware of basic differences between many males' view of life, education and discipline and what I have met with women.  


Ong's book "Fighting for Life" is the best I have run into on the basic male struggle, which can be reasonably summarized as "win or die".  That idea does not always apply and it doesn't specify whether the victory has to be in boxing or poetry so the summary is a little vague and incomplete.  The picture we got in a Yellowstone meadow of a bison bull, one enormous animal, sulking and brooding, captures the idea of "expendable".  The other bull is quite capable of running a herd and nobody needed him, ever.  


You can see that a male teacher might get lonely and depressed, all alone up there and all alone later with those papers to grade.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby