Friday, November 27, 2020

Face and rotator cuff

I got some skin surgery for cancerous cells.  I also began to have a little pain in my upper right arm.  I have been going to physical therapy for that.  In addition to removing some cancerous cells, the dermatologist prescribed Fluorouracil.  That is a skin medicine that gets applied daily or so and slowly turns skin cells that are not healthy red.  A person can look rather blotchy and speckled and I do.  People have not been acting scared of me but close examination reveals a weirdly red-spotted man.


I am a fan of exercise bands and the physical therapist has given me some red ones and some yellow.  The color matters since it is a sign of the strength of the band.  I have some somewhere that are silver colored and some gold.  The bands are relatively inexpensive and they are quiet to use.  Of course, if you drop one on the floor it doesn't make a big bang and it doesn't damage a foot or hand if it falls on me.  


I learned quite a while ago that bands can be made that are very resistant and so strong that I can't stretch them.  A nice thing about resistance bands is that they are dynamically resistant - that is, the further one is stretched, the more force it offers against being stretched.  


I have learned that my rotator cuff is really four muscles and they allow me to point my forearm in one direction and rotate it to point in another direction.  An exercise coach told us that its condition does not affect one's body profile or make you look muscular and so it doesn't not get worked on.  I was surprised when an orthopedist told me that the little pain was produced by this mysterious complex set of muscles.  It is what is sometimes called "referred pain", a deal where it hurts here because of something happening over there.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby