Sunday, November 29, 2020

Free gifts

It is very common for ads to include the exciting words "Free gifts".  I guess an advertising principle used to be, and maybe still is, always find a way to offer something for free, use the word 'free'.  So, I am continually reading about 'free gifts'.  There are some occasions when I get a gift that can be considered free but usually a gift comes with strings, obligations and complications.


Naturally, I don't expect to pay money for a gift I am given.  I have read though that I should beware of people who come bearing gifts.  Once you have given me a gift, you may expect me to be grateful, to help you carry out a vendetta or rake your lawn or care for your children.  There are times when we have more of this or that than we need but if we give the excess away, we may be establishing a principle that the recipients should give us some excess they have.  


When I am offered free magazines for a couple of months, I can expect a bill for a year's subscription to arrive.  I think the publisher is hoping that I will like what I get enough that I will pay the bill.  Maybe I would even pay attention to the magazines and will quietly pay that bill along with the other bills I have. I do drop subscriptions for things I don't read or use.  I normally don't find dangling bait very attractive in any form.  


Just for something a little different, I would like to see the title "expensive gifts" but have the offer not be for an expensive watch that I can give as a gift.  Normally, "expensive gifts" means "we have on offer some items that will cost you but impress and please those you give gifts to because of the high quality and reputation of these items."  A common word to use, I guess, for a different sort of offer is "deal".  "Here is a special deal" usually means "we are now offering for sale something quite worthwhile for somewhat less than the usual price."


Do me a favor and just offer "gifts" but don't label them "free gifts." That label is redundant and misleading, too.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby