Saturday, May 30, 2020

Choices and her

I wrote my dissertation on using mathematical decision theory for designing a simulation of the work of a school principal.  Unless you are quite kinky, you would not find any part of it stimulating or arousing. You can download it free and see for yourself with the link on the bottom of the page here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/dissertation-blog-links


I like the idea of the Oxford University "Very Short Introductions".  There are over 600 volumes in the series, which are generally available for $8 and are downloadable.  Reading and understanding the titles is an education in itself.  https://www.veryshortintroductions.com/


Recently, I read in the volume on choice/decision theory much discussion of irrationality in choice.  Mathematicians love to try to find tight logical principles that cannot be violated by a thinking person.  Unfortunately for them, life can be very tricky so no matter what I choose, what I decide, it may be a good choice in the context, for that time, for me, and my goals.


The principle that was maybe a bit over-discussed was the idea that introducing an additional option that I don't choose ought not change my preferences.  Suppose the waiter says I can have soup or salad.  I choose soup.  Then, she says,"Oh, I forgot. You can also choose an appetizer."  The decision theorists don't want me to say that point, "Oh, I would like a salad, not soup."  Why did I switch from one of the first alternatives to the other when the choices were increased?  


As a teacher and educator (and husband), I say, "Who cares?"  I offered Lynn a list of options for dinner:

  • Cod

  • Steak

  • Swai

  • Pizza

  • Chicken thighs

  • Pork chops

  • Something else


She reminded me that I used to make tuna with pasta and she said she wanted that.  https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2012/06/dishes-i-am-proud-of.html

We both realize that the list includes "something else" and she was just choosing what she was invited to choose.  Still, I maintain that it is very difficult for a husband to predict what a wife will do.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby