Thursday, May 21, 2020

First mow

I was born and raised in the south part of the US.  Then, more than 50 years ago, we moved to the north part.  90°F with 90% humidity at 9 AM was experienced quite often.  I have found that a Midwestern spring is quite nice.  Right now it is 72° outside with a nice gentle breeze that moves the warmth around.  


Sunlight, warm air, and enough rain recently put the trees and bushes and flowers and lawn into growing mode.  I rode our lawn mower around our giant half acre today for the first time this year.  So far the grass has not had enough time to grow much so this mowing was more ceremonial than serious.  It felt good to be back in the mower seat doing the lawn thing.  


Ever since reading and trying to digest the message from "Incognito" that much, probably most, of me is not available to my conscious mind, I have been aware that thoughts come to mind from an unconscious source.  I was surprised to find that I had forgotten some of the steps and moves to use the mower but when I started to do something, I would get a strong mental nudge that I was forgetting something.  I had to search and think and ponder to discover what.  


If I drive all over the lawn without lowering the cutting blade, nothing is accomplished.  I have to remember to put the blade down.  The first few mows require stopping and removing good sized branches from trees and bushes.  The mower has safety features so if I leave the seat with the engine running, I have to raise the blade and apply the handbrake.  Otherwise, the engine cuts off.  


The battery isn't strong since it sat in the garage for many cold months unused.  It is easy for the engine to get flooded.  I failed to put the engine in neutral properly twice so I hung around waiting for the engine to dry out and the battery to recover, twice.  


Sticks I missed or thought I could ignore jamned the grass intake and I wound up with mostly autumn leaves.  I will do better next time.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby