Thursday, March 28, 2019

Limbs of joy

From my window, I can see two little kids waiting for the school bus.  One runs to the corner and immediately starts balancing on the lawn rocks there.  The other has a mom who drives him to the corner. She sits in the car while waiting but he gets out and also begins climbing and balancing.  


When I watch little kids, and see how they spend their time, what they choose to focus on, I get some chuckles.  A six or seven year old boy was conceived not all that long ago. Then, he was born, naked, squawky and quite tiny.  That sequence and state of affairs is a model of humanity. Everyone I see was conceived, born and played with toys, rattles, balls, grew older.  


One often hears about the value of living, reveling even, in the moment.  The joy of being at the bus stop - it's so HERE! It's just like it was!

Of having rocks to balance on - true it's a little demanding but I can DO it!

Of seeing what others are doing and copying them - Oh, that's a good idea!

Of seeing them copy your own excellent idea -  I am great, see me copied!


I thought it would be easy to find three or so kids, maybe five years old, playing together on a playground on YouTube.  We have several playgrounds in our town and I enjoy the pep, the exuberance, the joy of motion I see on them. What I found on YouTube seemed rather sparse, too full of ads, toys, single mishaps and animations.  


It's actual little kids that make me appreciate human abilities, perception, ideas, reactions.  It is fun to see the wheels of mind turning, accepting, rejecting, copying, considering, all the while those little limbs pumping.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby