Sunday, March 24, 2019

Webpage manners

We are still in the beginning of the web.  Yes, DARPA and communicating scientists were using computers to communicate and cooperate quite a while back.  Lynn and I used the worldwide web in 1990's but it was still just beginning, at least in my world. These days, I use two indicators, websites that businesses depend on that are hosted by Facebook and the existence of personal websites.  If a writer or professor or teacher has a website that is under their control and they have published information on it, that person seems well situated for modern communications to me.


But in this country and some others, enough people are browsing the web and shopping from the web and using it for their personal business that many groups are getting interested in selling their products and promoting their ideas with it.  So, we have the current experiences of doing a search for, say, the boyhood conditions of Christopher Columbus. We can find a website or document with interesting information on what we want. We can start reading the document but we get interrupted.  


Imagine someone sitting on the bus or train with you.  That person is reading a magazine or newspaper but you want to sell him a nice knit hat that you made.  You pull the hat from your bag and slide it across the magazine he is looking at. Beside the audio experience of hearing him utter some ugly words, what else is a likely reaction?  What are the odds that he will say,"What a nice hat! How much to buy it?" I advise you to find a different approach.


The problem of getting your knitting bought ("marketing") by a web browsing person is similar the problem of robocalling.  I am not an experienced caller but I have experience as the callee. Most calls to my phone disconnect when they or their equipment can detect the call has gone to voicemail.  On the web, there doesn't seem to an effective mechanism to stop pushing their ad across my reading.


I get the feeling that more and more sellers and promoters try to have their webpages coded aggressively.  If you suddenly insert an ad across the page, and if you lock up the machine so I can't easily get around your insert, do you figure I am going to like your product, your company and your manners?  In many cases, the reader view in Firefox with strip off distractions and show me the main page I want to read. When I am using a different browser or otherwise don't have reader view to work with, I will say goodbye to you and your stuff.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby