Sunday, March 31, 2019

Something to worry about

Sometimes, I worry that I don't worry enough.  I have friends that get in much more worry than I do.  Besides, I get the impression that they can worry more intensely than I can.  It can be worrying to suspect oneself to be an inadequate worrier.


I also worry that I allocate my scarce worry time poorly.  How can I tell what is most important to worry about? It seems that many people, especially among those who are aware of things today, are worried about climate change, the environment and keeping this planet liveable.  So, shouldn't I keep my eye on other things, things that might get skipped or not even be recognized as something to worry about?


I realize that there are professional journalists all over who stay alert for problems.  There are scientists who study water quality and sources of disease. I don't know much about that and I don't have the time or interest to study such subjects.  Maybe it is best if I worry about things that probably are beneath the radar of much of the worrying world. Things like deteriorating shoes, house plants that are over-watered, and counties in my state that are not visited often enough.


I put "effective worrying" into Google but all I found were articles and books on how to worry less.  I worry that this under-concentration on inadequate worrying leaves the door open for a giant worry deficit, maybe even of international proportions.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby