Thursday, January 31, 2019

All set to fight heroically

Are you ever set for a big fight, a major effort, only to find the issue is decided, the fight is settled, the war's over?


I was getting set to make a big effort to eat better.  Then, I found that my eating has been good, fine, even.  I don't need to make a big effort. First, I was beguiled by Susan Peirce Thompson and her book Bright Line Eating.  I am always looking for superior food ideas that fit in a small space. Her 2 rules, No added sugar and No flour, seemed smart and somewhat useful without being too detailed, too harsh or even too hard.  A friend had already put me onto books and YouTube videos by Dr. Jason Fung. Both Lynn and I have flirted with diabetes 2 and both of these people emphasize the value of cutting sugar and related foods from our diet.  


Not long ago, I saw a list of someone's ideas of the most addictive substances.  That list did not include sugar but sugar is often mentioned as something that too many Americans and Britons consume too much of. When my parents owned a candy store, I am confident that I did consume far more sugar than was healthy.  But now, much older, I do not find sugar or sweet tastes to be all that attractive. I wasn't clear about the sugar in fruit or foods like milk. It wasn't ADDED sugar but I suppose it is ok to skip some fruit, regardless.


I am still suspicious about any important difference between heat capture to measure calories and human digestion to actually get and use calories.  While searching here and there, I ran into the name Marion Nestle. I knew she was a professor of food and a smart viewer to food industry and fashions.  She has a blog/website called Food Politics. I got a couple of her books. She seems to find fat content, calories and such important.


I am perplexed about obesity in America.  I thought,"Ok, I will concentrate on trying to get the computer formulas to stop calling me "overweight".  I weighed myself on our good scale, had Lynn help me measure my height. Even with standing up straight, I am short of the magic six feet.  I put my weight and height into a couple of the online Body Mass Index calculators and they agreed: 26.1 I was called "overweight" twice! A little more searching and I found justification!  Such a move is not unusual among researchers with an axe to grind. Older people (that's me!) are better off with a body mass index between 25 and 27.


I don't need to fight. I am already a champ!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby