Monday, January 7, 2019

Wait a while

I normally am not tuned into waiting.  I mean, why wait? Instead, how about NOW? But, I am beginning to change in that regard.  


First, as I mentioned, my thinking speed is slowing down.  What was that guy's name? I knew it. I think I might still know it.  I just can't think of it. That happens more often these days. But, I am finding that with a little waiting, the name comes to mind.  It doesn't seem to help speed things up if I try harder. Maybe trying harder to remember might even slow retrieval even further. The most helpful approach seems to be simple faith in my head.  I don't grit my teeth and try to demand of my brain that it give me the answer. But if I just wait, maybe twiddle my thumbs or look off in the distance, the sought-for item often slides into mind.


Second, some possible thoughts feel naughty or dangerous or blasphemous.  With a little time however, they can be handled. Internal permission can be obtained, the proper safeguards can be rolled into place and they can be managed.  At first, it can be too scary, too dark to picture what I did. But, in a little while, I can sneak a peek, see the deal and work on it. Similarly, if I am talking to a friend about his trouble getting along with someone, I find that I can mention gingerly and on a slant, that maybe some of the problem is the attitude my friend shows about the trouble. He may dismiss that possibility quickly and completely.  Then, ten minutes later, he may say "Well, maybe I could be more open about that trouble."


It is certainly not a new idea.  I often heard my parents and grandparents say "Well, give it a little time".  I just never took the advice seriously. I didn't see how a little time would matter.  Now, however, I see that minds can change, circumstances can change, and a more balanced view can emerge that produces answers, creates tolerance, cooks up some patience and mental strength that only emerge after a little while.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby