Monday, January 28, 2019

Days of Our Lives

One of our local papers announced that yesterday, January 26, was Spouse Day.  We offered to take grandkids to dinner to give the spouses time together.


I had never heard of Spouse Day.  I don't mind inclusive language and language that conveys without any reference to sex or gender.  But I wondered what other celebratory days have been set aside for one thing or another. I wondered about a day set aside by somebody for husbands or wives.  Is there a Kid's Day? I know about Mother's Day and Father's Day but yes, there is a Husband's Day and a Wives Day. I asked Lynn if she had heard of any of them and she came back with Pickle Day.  


As usual, for today's blog post, I accumulated several different possible topics but I felt confident that marketing and religious and philosophical forces, trends and groups have already launched special commemorative days for many things.  Just now in preparing this post, I looked up "Which days of the year are not celebrations of anything?" I didn't get a direct answer but I did find this:

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/

There are clearly many possibilities.  The web page informs me that today, Jan. 27, is "Chocolate Cake Day" but if you click on the link tomorrow, Jan. 28, you will view the page on "Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day", "Kazoo Day", "Blueberry Pancake Day" and "Data Privacy Day".  


I am not clear why we get celebratory days and months but not weeks. I imagine there may just have been a slip-up and we may get Congress Week, Library Week, and Dry Cleaning Week if we don't already have them.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby