Saturday, January 5, 2019

Times

6:00 AM      Get up

12:00 PM    Have coffee

[4:00 PM]    Drinks if I am drinking, snacks

10:00 PM    Go to bed


In the Myers-Briggs system of personality classification, I am a Judger as opposed to the Perceivers.  Judgers are clock-people. We rise by the clock, live by the clock and sleep by the clock. We saw an early clock in a London attic.  It was a big set of wheels built to clang a chime on the hour. No face, no hands, no minutes, no seconds.


I have read that some ancient Greeks had a bowl, like a salad bowl, with a hole in the side, near the top.  To use the timer, set the bowl in a larger bowl of water. When the bowl sinks to the bottom, time's up. I have no idea how long the sinking would take but I would rather use a timer.  


We have many timers around the house.  Some need batteries. Some are filled with a modern version of sand and can empty from an upper chamber to a lower one by gravity.  I have a 30 minute hour glass and a four 3 minute hour glasses, often labeled "egg timers."


Of the times listed above, the one I pay the most attention to is noon.  I like coffee and I like caffeine. I don't feel I am addicted to coffee or to caffeine.  I pour my morning coffee up to the same line each morning and have the rest of a morning pot at lunch.  Ever since I began using whole milk in my coffee, a serving is like a meal: satisfying and comforting. I usually start thinking about mid-day coffee about 11:15.  I wait a while and it becomes 11:23. Damn! Another long time and it is 11:28.


I don't want to use coffee and I don't like to give in.  But the time sure creeps. I admit I do mess with the dosage.  Many times I have Republic of Tea Green Tea at 10 AM or as soon after as I think of it.  But Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast or Starbucks Instant, in that order, deliver more punch.  


(Let me know if you find this fascinating.  Lynn and I are wondering.)

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby