Monday, June 4, 2018

Get to do it

Dr. Amit Sood is a physician at the Mayo Clinic.  He is the author of several Mayo Clinic books and of the provocative "Mindfulness Redesigned for the 21st Century." One of his clues for improving one's feelings is to use the phrase "get to", as in I get to take out the trash today.  The idea is that "getting to take out the trash" is an opportunity, instead of a boring duty.  


Quite a long time ago, I read of an American military officer who was imprisoned in a Japanese camp.  It was very unpleasant and when he learned that he was to be freed, he was very happy. However, loaded on a bus that was to take the prisoners home to freedom, he was quite surprised that he felt sad, realizing this was the last sight of the place he would have.


Maybe some good buddies died in that camp.  Maybe there were some tender and memorable moments of support, comradery, affection, victory, pride and hope.  The camp is the symbol of those good moments, and true or not, knowing you won't see it again can feel like those good moments are lost.  


At my age or any age, I might not get to take the trash out anymore.  My sight, my strength, my balance might become inadequate. The trash guys might not always be out there collecting.  Working with those heroes of the neighborhood might not always be a possibility so I'd better enjoy the chance when I have it.  


This strategy of "getting to" do things is a good example of positive thinking, something that can be overdone, repulsive, ridiculous and childish.  Toughies will drag their ass through what needs to be done, snarling and grimacing en route. I prefer the more romantic way of savoring my opportunities while I have them.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby