Thursday, June 21, 2018

A better way

In personal projects such as exercising or losing weight or maybe practicing attention training, I often see how people sabotage themselves by trying too hard.  I have a poorly supported theory that a nation of immigrants have a tendency toward trying hard and then harder. I realize that Ecclesiastes (9:10) says whatever I put my hand to, I should try with all my might.  Maybe there is a cultural force, something social that we imbibe as children, that success only comes from effort, hard effort, teeth-gritting effort.


The usual way of trying "with all my might" calls for me to exert maximum muscular effort.  That can translate into also setting a high goal, something challenging. I often read that we get what we ask for, try for, demand, and if we want good success, we need to aim high.  But I often observe this sequence

  1. I try doing X and I don't let myself just dab my toe in the effort.  No, sir, I jump in whole heartily.

  2. Later that day, or the following day or the day after that, I am a bit sick or stiff or both.

  3. Just what I expected!  Do I let myself off? I certainly do not!!!

  4. I jump in with even more heart.  

  5. Later that day, or the following day or the day after that, I am sicker or stiffer or both-er.

You can probably see where this leads.  Don't just picture the pain or chagrin, the shame, the embarrassment.  Also, consider a likely internal conclusion: "I wasn't cut out for this.  It is part of the grand plan of the universe that I should not achieve this goal."


Reaching such an internal conclusion can create a very strong inclination to listen to the pain and stop trying.


There is a fearful adolescent inside our heads.  This person fears success and expects to fail at anything important.  If that disastrously ambitious person can be sidelined, or sent on a tour of the Outer Hebrides or some place, a different sequence that can used.  

  1. Dip my toe in speed walking or fasting or whatever.

  2. Toast my toe-dipping effort.

  3. Tomorrow, dip two toes.

  4. Again, suppress the urge to go faster, to calculate how long before I will conquer. Instead, toast the progress I am making.  Savor that progress, Baby, and look forward to tomorrow's more toes and more dipping.

  5. Keep building slowly but steadily.


Moral: start small, stay small and win.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby