Sunday, December 24, 2017

It's typewriters (What's a typewriter?) (2nd mailing, security didn't like my earlier shortened link)

A friend, highly educated with an active and agile mind, said,"When I was young, it was typewriters that were ruining the world."  I hadn't heard of the typewriter threat but I am not surprised if some human imagination foresaw the death of something fine and lovely because of typewriters.  It seems to me that
It may be that more intelligent people worry more than less intelligent people.  The famous Mad comic fellow, Alfred E. Neuman, now passed the age of 60 (Look him up if you don't remember him) had that well-known slogan "What, me worry?" His appearance also implied that, like Aesop's grasshopper, he took the tact that everything was fine and even dandy.  He had no worries. 

What about North Korea?  What about the new tax code?  What about earthquakes?  What about dengue fever, drought, crime, miserliness, ISIS, inflation, deflation, flation?  As Dr. Cook mentioned, what about incarceration and the huge US prisoner population? 

Two intelligent friends separately explained to me that we (you and me) are increasingly controlled by large, dangerous, callous corporations.  I don't think so.  You may be but I don't feel that I am.  I think my actions, including use of international corporate online offerings like Facebook and Google and computer systems like iOS and Windows are still under my control.  

It may be some years before the end of my days but I don't want to spend them worrying about typewriters or smartphones or flation.  I agree that my heart still beats and my flesh may be sought by tigers.  Shingles and flu are out to get me but I don't want to darken more days than necessary with worry.  How about you worry for me?  Let me know if it gets to be too much and I will add some additional worriers.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby