Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sharing a book

My friend likes to quote a witty remark and the other day, she quoted Peter Devries. That name elicits good feelings in me.  I used it for a search of my blog posts:

http://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/search?q=devries


The man is deceased now but his books are still around.  He wrote for The New Yorker as well as writing several novels.  A search turned up the remark by somebody that Devries was the funniest writer on the subject of religion.  I remember a scene, I think from Mackerel Plaza, where a disgruntled believer throws a pie onto the face of a statue of Jesus.  Pie in the face?

He wrote "Comfort Me with Apples" (a phrase from the Song of Solomon) and The Tents of Wickedness (Psalm 84.  Thanks, BibleGateway).  Several of his books served as the basis of a movie.  In one book, a realtor is showing a couple around a house that is for sale.  Meanwhile in one of the bedrooms, a couple has borrowed the bed for intimate activity.  The prospective buyers and the realtor enter the room, the realtor is offended, she turns down the covers and snarls,"Prude"!  She misunderstands the word.  

It was Devries and his wit that more or less forced me to read aloud to Lynn if I wanted to be on the spot when she first met some of his comments.  I didn't want to read them to her out of context.  I have been reading aloud ever since, 57 years.  Of course, we can't recall all the books that I have read while she does jigsaw puzzles.  She can and does pay attention very well. I have tested her.  Once or twice, we listened to audiobooks from Audible.com but my reading fits our lives better.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby