Friday, December 8, 2017

What is a horse shoe?

The very first horseless carriage was in operation quite early, depending of course on what is meant by the term.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html Country. Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (1725-1804), 1769, STEAM / Built the first self propelled road vehicle (military tractor) for the French army: three wheeled, 2.5 mph. France. Robert Anderson, 1832-1839, ELECTRIC / Electric carriage. Scotland. Karl Friedrich Benz (1844-1929), 1885/86, GASOLINE / First true automobile


But clearly, horses and oxen were important sources of transport power for a very long time.  


It would not surprise me if many children and young people today are not familiar with horse shoes. The words are usually written together (horseshoe) but I am purposely separating them.


https://www.google.com/search?q=horseshoe&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=sur:f&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX56Tl4PjXAhVE9YMKHfM5BLkQpwUIIA&biw=1280&bih=551&dpr=1.5


I am interested in changing times and practices.  When I was an elementary school student, my family did not have a television set but I had seen them.  Many children of today have iPads or competing brands of tablets.  I have never saddled a horse or been in the presence of working oxen. I have ridden a horse occasionally but never shod one or seen the operation in person.  I would not be too surprised if some students enter college today without having used a computer.


My lunch fellows were discussing washing machines with wringers. We used to have one in our house that looked about like this:

The lunch group is all men and none of us had ever used such a machine nor had any of us ever used a scrub board:

Everything I have mentioned here has to do with physical power but there are undoubtedly many other areas where change is evident.  Foods, dress, fashion, medicine, music, literature and movie themes seem likely areas.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby