Friday, January 8, 2016

Sneaky notifications and backdoor reminders

In the world of personal computing and smartphones these days, the word "notifications" has an enriched meaning.  When you hear your doorbell ring, you are getting a notification that someone is at your door.  On most electronic devices, you can tell the various apps that you do or do not want to be notified of incoming messages, updates that are now available, etc.  I have written about notifications and interruptions before.


There is a limit to how many interruptions you want to get before you disable your doorbell or take the phone off the hook.


I have noticed that my body's notifications invariably arrive on the offbeat.  When I am writing this blog, my back doesn't hurt and my unfed stomach does not say,"How about a little food?"  Of course, the body notices when I fast and it gets no breakfast and no lunch.  But it is when I stop typing and start a little thinking, that I get a hunger pang.  From meditation practice, I can be quite still and silent inside and out.  But when I move or twist or stand or reach for something, it seems the body uses that micro-moment to zap me with a reminder, an urge, a short message.  If I say "Not now", the notice fades into the background to wait for its next chance to flash me its own little ad for body adjustment, or food, or drink or an urge to go for a walk.


I am interested in my internal "settings" module and how the urges are scheduled to always arrive on the quiet moment.  It's true that they do arrive at a time when I could pay attention and deliver what is urged.  If I am trying to fast or finish a post, I am used to quickly assessing how much I want to comply.  As with an insistent child, I can treat the petition politely while rejecting the plea.  It seems that the more often I put the reminders aside, the less insistent they become on that issue.


My body works approximately the same way with many sorts of pain.  If I have a sore shoulder, I get less pain if I don't use it for a while.  If the doctor tells me to exercise it but the shoulder isn't in agreement, I start getting notifications after the exercise that I have been naughty.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby