Thursday, December 29, 2022

Ebook highlights

My book group nominated several books for our next read.  An election was held.  I haven't heard of any charges of fraud or election stealing.  The winner was "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" by Bill Bryson.  Bryson was a writer and editor in Britain for 20 years before returning to live in the US.  The book relates his experiences and thoughts about resuming residence in this country.  


It happens that I read the book aloud to Lynn.  Most of the time, I read aloud to her for about an hour in the evening from a Kindle ebook.  Often, but not always, when reading a Kindle with comments and language I admire and enjoy, I will highlight a good or poetic or meaningful passage.  The Kindle software files the highlights into a single file and will send that file in two formats to my email address.  


I can often recapture much of my own experience of reading a book by reading through the file of highlights.  Sometimes, I have one reason or another to look for a file of highlights from a book I read 5 or 10 years ago.  Sometimes, I look at the file of highlights for a given book and there are none.  I can forget to make highlights if I get too gripped by the book or I can simply be unimpressed.  The highlight file also will show "popular highlights", passages frequently marked by readers.  I got my first Kindle ebook in 2008 but I called up the popular highlights for the first time ever today.


I would guess as much as half of my friends express a strong dislike for ebooks but that may change with new generations of readers.  


Older books may not be popular enough to be available in e-form.  I got a book the other day and started reading from a paper page but the print was too small for comfort.  I bought the e-version and made the print larger.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby