Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Walking like an old man

My wife said I have been walking like an old man.  I told my nurse practitioner and she suggested I see a physical therapist.  He is a popular source of help and he is near me.  I saw him today for the first time.  


My version of what I do is a type of waddling.  I see people in my neighborhood walking and older people move from side to side more than younger people.  My therapist took a video of me walking and his software allowed him to put various lines across my figure as I walked.  They showed that I do lean a bit with each step, more on the right side when taking a step with that leg.  He measured the length of my legs and found the right one is a bit shorter.


I am not young so it seems that walking like an old man might be expected.  I asked if he thought there would be benefits for me to walk with less waddle and he said doing so might give me less wear and tear on joints.  I am scheduled to see him five more times, about a week apart.


He only prescribed one exercise, donkey kicks.  I get on all fours and lift a thigh with the foot facing the ceiling.  I hold that for 5 seconds.  Do the other leg.  Repeat 10 times.  That is one set.  Do another set.  Later in the day, do two more sets.


If you see an old guy jetting by on foot or bike, you'll know it is me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby