Saturday, December 31, 2022

Remember how happy you were?

Trying to make better use of books I already have, I am tickled when I look up an ebook that sounds interesting and get a banner across the page that says I bought the book in question 6 years ago.  That means I already have it and Amazon won't sell me another ecopy.  I can send one to a friend but the copy I have is the only Kindle copy I will get.  The book, "Positive Psychology" by Ronald Siegel and others is published by Harvard University and summarizes ideas and research about what lifestyles and habits promote happiness and I was informed I had bought the book years ago.  And never downloaded it or read any of it.


Reading it, I found the question "Remember how happy you were when you got a raise?"  It went on to state that probably I wasn't as happy now over that raise as I was when I first found out about it.  So, happiness (and delight and excitement levels) deteriorate over time.  I told my friend about reading that and he said he loves to relive the past and that he achieves the same happiness when he recalls a past happy as he had when he first felt it.  I take this to be a warning and a challenge!  Do you think I am going to just accept inferior subsequent happiness levels?  No way!


I am going to study me and my memory and my past happiness peaks and look into doing better at duplicating them later in time.  I'll let you know how I do.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby