Saturday, August 28, 2021

Her birthday

She is one of the finest sisters in the world.  She was born a few years after I was born.  My mother was in the passenger seat and told me to go in the house and sit back on the sofa.  Then I could hold her.  She was the first infant I ever held.  I still remember the whole thing.  


I remember that she was outside the safety gate on the front porch.  Why?  I don't know.  She wanted to get in.  Why?  I don't know.  What I do know that is while attempting to open the dumb gate, put there to protect an innocent little kid, she fell off the top step and broke her right arm.  Thus, I wound up being the only one of four in the family that was right-handed.


I remember being in the neighbor kid's front yard when he pulled a cherry from behind him and squirted its juice in my eye.  I yelled.  My little sister launched herself like a rocket and took the kid down, pummeling him all the while.  His mommy rushed out and pulled her off, scolding her for picking on someone bigger than her.  


She is the only person to throw a sheath knife and hit me in the back with it.  She didn't realize I had gone up to the target tree to extract my own knife and she was practicing standing with her back to the target and turning quickly and throwing.  Her knife landed flat against my back.  


In high school, she came limping down the stairs.  Wow!  What happened?  She had gone out for cheerleading and jumped and jumped and jumped.  Now, she was all stiff. 


She has grown up to be a successful mother and worker and grandmother and hospital volunteer.  The best sister I ever had!!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby