Saturday, August 7, 2021

Clapper and Raines

I started reading James Clapper's "Facts and Fears".  Clapper was Director of National Intelligence and I was curious about what his book said.  His tenure ended before the Trump era really got started, but I was still transported into subjects and events I hadn't thought about or even known about. 


A couple of days ago, my friend Mary Elizabeth Raines let me know about a new book of hers that is available.  "How to Help and Heal with Hypnosis" is a survey of questions and issues with the subject of hypnosis.  Raines gives various definitions of hypnosis and then says that nobody really knows what hypnosis is or how it works exactly.  Again, as with the Clapper book, I was suddenly awash with topics, questions and curiosities.  Raines is a professional hypnotist and a trainer of hypnotists.  She has hypnotized me twice.


I am interested in human attention and how it works.  There is such a thing as being alerted to attend to something, as when a slight sound alerts me to the presence of a raving tyrantosaurus behind me.  I am a fan of meditation, which has to do with noticing, attending that is, to what is in my mind and not just fretting about being old without realizing I am fretting about it.  Several of Raines' definitions of hypnosis relate to deep attention, as when a football game on tv really, really has my attention.  


Another aspect of hypnosis is suggestibility, being open to suggestions.  I read in a novel that the emperor "suggested" to a given citizen that he commit suicide.  I guess if my emperor suggests I do that, I may dismiss the idea but if I am sufficiently suggestible, I might accept it.  Bad guys might suggest I give them my money and politicians might suggest that I vote the way they want me to.  Raines makes clear that people in general are likely to ignore suggestions, even those they have paid professionals to make about ways for them to personally be happier or healthier.  


My experiences with these two books are exactly the sort of mind expansions that some books, especially some non-fiction books written by knowledgeable people, can provide.  No wonder the ability to read is often considered THE fundamental tool for a good life. Podcasts and videos on YouTube are a very valuable addition.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby