Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Changes in our eating

As we get older, we find that we eat a little differently. Most noticeably, we simply can't hold as much as we did. Lynn is a strong fan of vegetables and fruits and I am a strong fan of her.  So, over time, I get so I eat more vegetables and fruits.  I was on a wrestling team for five years, 2 in high school and 3 in college.  That activity gave me awareness of my eating habits and feelings about eating and food. As a Boy Scout, I had an experience of working all day outside without eating as part of the entry for the Order of the Arrow.  


I suspect that our bodies are built to be very reluctant to die from lack of food or drink.  I imagine that dying from starvation would be very painful and horrible.  Still, I read all the time about people, especially Americans, eating too much food.  Lynn, like many older women, has to be conscious of her weight.


I also see that a small bit of steak or ham is attractive and appetizing but it doesn't take much to satisfy me.  For a stretch of a few months, Lynn developed what seemed like extra sensitivity to her level of hunger.  Her mention of not being hungry got me more aware of my level of hunger. A few days ago, I got interested in songs and earworms, tunes that stay with me and come to mind mysteriously and repeatedly. I thought of "Top of the World" by the Carpenters (1972).  I found a video of him playing the piano and her singing the song.  She seemed so happy and bursting with joy.  I wondered what happened to her.  I read that she died of complications of anorexia.  


I understand that many conditions can create internal disinterest in food.  There are other possible problems, too, such as swallowing difficulties. I don't usually get ravenous but a couple of weeks ago, good pasta and sauce shot an unusual spirit of joy, appreciation and toothiness through me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby