Thursday, August 5, 2021

Complexity costs, too

We try to be economical and thoughtful. When a book club reads a book, we need access to a copy for long enough to get it read.  We don't always know how long that will be.  I went to the library to borrow a copy but didn't realize I was early.  While waiting for opening time, I went back to the car.  In the meantime, I used the Libby app on my phone, which I happened to remember to have along, to borrow the book electronically.  Much of the time, the book is not available in e-format or the electronic copies are in such demand that it would be an inordinately long time to wait for an available copy.  But this time, sitting in the car outside the closed library, I got the book.  I drove home and we have been reading it.


It is Erik Larson's "The Splendid and the Vile," the story of Churchill and Hitler.  It is a long book and I am reading it aloud for about 45 minutes a night.  The loan expires in a few days and the app says others are waiting. So, what to do?  Download a purchased copy for $14, order a used copy and wait a while for it to come, hopefully before the club's discussion, go to the library for a paper copy.  After a little discussion, the more economical and thoughtful member of the team said to go ahead and download an ecopy. The wastrel member of the team was immediately relieved that the problem was solved and, as usual, it was quick and very convenient. 


So what?  So, solving a problem quickly and completely is itself worth paying for.  To sidestep a complete and detailed investigation, to get a pretty good solution quickly and completely is another criterion that can settle what action to take.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby