Thursday, October 11, 2018

Other groups and my limited attention

From the website 538's 10/10/18 weekday free newsletter "Significant Digits"

15 nominees

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, that bastion of cultural relevance, announced its 2019 nominees for induction yesterday. They are The Cure, Def Leppard, Devo, Janet Jackson, John Prine, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, MC5, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Roxy Music, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Stevie Nicks, Todd Rundgren and The Zombies. Actually seems like the makings of a pretty decent playlist, to be honest. [NPR]


I realize that I am in an old generation.  I have heard of Def Leppard, Janet Jackson, and Stevie Nicks.  I am confident that I have not heard any of the music or singing from any of them or anybody else listed.  I often listen to a CD from the Musical Heritage Society: The Early Symphonies of Mozart, volume II. That piece, symphony 47, came out of the head of a 14 year old boy 248 years ago.  I like it, Lynn likes it, and listening to it and other pieces we know well puts us in a great mood as we work in the kitchen.


There are many groups, social movements and organizations that I have never been part of.  I realize there are many video and computer games and players in the world but I never made it into their ranks.  There are many music bands, local and state and national, that I have not heard or heard of. If I were a better sports fan, there are many high school, college and professional athletes I would know about but don't.  


I tend to look at some writings on the world wide web and we get some magazines delivered to the house.  I look at Google News every day and at Facebook, even since Lynn lured me onto it. I have probably 50 blogs posted on my own blog page and in Feedly, the blog post collector.  We get three newspapers from the local community, which I rarely look at beyond the headline.


My friend recently launched a new book club and I am reading the book for it.  I am continuing to read about the subconscious mind, especially books by Prof. Timothy Wilson.  


These days, that is about as much as I want to do.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby