Thursday, October 18, 2018

Calls, messages, texts - oh, my!

As an old person, I have a duty to grumble and harp, explaining how things were so much better in the old days than they are now.  Generally, this is not an easy duty to fulfill. Many things are better than they have ever been. Men like Hans Rosling (look him up and watch his TED talks), Stephen Pinker (a high-level and prolific writer) and even Ben Wattenburg (again try Google) knew and know about the duty of old people to pshaw, denigrate and explain how things sailed smoothly before you were here.  However, they also know about life and the world's tendency to change.


Whatever your age, you probably can't really keep up.  Sure, the earth scientists know all kinds of things about the polar ice caps, but are you up to date with emerging Muslim trends?  Are you up to date on American abortions? Don't feel bad: you can't do everything.


Why I was a boy (back in the seventeen hundreds), we had phones.  Not the little expensive objects you carry in your backpocket, they were stationary.  We knew where they were, because we couldn't move them - rather like the front door. We had phone books listing peoples' phone numbers and if we wanted to communicate, we looked up the name and called.  


Nowadays, I get three or four phone books but many of my friends have a carefully unlisted number.  Not a number of their phone, now called a "landline". That thing is gone. Now each member of the family has a phone and an unknown phone number of their own.


The kids (up to age 40) are the ones under pressure but that is only fair since, for the most part, they are ones best able to handle pressure.  They and many other segments of our society are tired of interruptions and distractions. So, whatever phones they have, they tend to not answer if I call.  As usual, kids adapt and many are into brief "text messages", short words or phrases that appear in writing on the screens of their phones. If I text "Lunch?", I can expect to get the answer "Busy".


The "smartphones' that kids have these days are expensive, $200-$300 and up, so they have only one.  However, email, a quick and inexpensive way to communicate, is so inexpensive that many people have multiple email addresses.  If I have a business email address and a personal email address, I may get many important messages at one and very little at the other. Eventually, I find it is not a good use of my time to try and keep the personal account lively and maintained.  You could send me a message proposing marriage or an attractive deal in that personal account but I never know it because I am too busy elsewhere. That can be tragic !


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby