Saturday, October 20, 2018

A weakening heart

I am writing this Friday evening from a hospital bed.  Wednesday, I lifted weights and just for something a bit different, I lifted heavier weights than usual.  That night, I woke up with a stiff leg. Thursday morning, the leg was even stiffer. Usually, if fluid pools in my leg, it is the left leg, the one I had surgery on 60 years ago. This time, it is the other leg, which has never swollen up before.  This morning, I called the hospital and was told to have someone drive me to the emergency room, where I could be fully examined.


They checked me out and are keeping me overnight for observation.  I have shown symptoms of congestive heart failure over the last few years and have been taking prescribed meds to stave off the effects.  My heart shows signs of weakening and pumping less. Fluids can build up and negatively affect many different parts of my body's operations.


I am scheduled to go home tomorrow and we will see what happens after that.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby