Monday, August 18, 2014

Lynn Monday - Yosemite



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lynn Kirby
Date: Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM



We got an early start today. Breakfast and suitcases out for pickup at 6:30, leave at 7:30. We got to Yosemite valley about 11, but the drive there was absolutely spectacular scenery. In fact, the scenery was spectacular for hours and hours. Cliffs, rocks, trees, meadows, lakes, valleys. I probably took over a hundred pictures.

The Kirby family went to Yosemite in 1976. I remember some of the views and being scared of heights. I was probably scared of the driving too. On this trip we are in the back of the bus, so I can't see where we're going. I can only see out the side windows. Our bus driver is great and has a lot of experience. I trust him.  Today I was able to really look at the scenery. First, I could look at it only through my camera, but it was too big and too beautiful to miss, and so I had to look through the window. We didn't fall off the cliffs we were on, after all.

To get out of the park we had to go over one of the only 3 passes over the Sierras, the highest one. We went over another one two days ago, and we avoided the Donner Pass. Today we got up over 9,000 feet; the elevation did make us fall asleep off and on, but the scenery woke us up again.


After we left Yosemite, we stopped at Mono Basin, another place to take lots of pictures. And now at 5:47, we are at Carson City, still on the road to Sparks, near Reno, where we will spend two nights. So we should be on the road for about another hour. It was a long day (and a shorter message.)

Love, Lynn

Sent from my iPad

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby