Sunday, August 31, 2014

Some notable books

I read "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" by Rachel Held Evans.  She is a good writer and has other books to her credit.  I am pretty far from sharing all her religious ideas and affiliations but I do respect the intelligence and care she puts into her exploration of trying to follow all the Biblical precepts that a woman is advised to.  She had a different project for each month of a year, including spending the night in a tent when she was menstruating and therefore "unclean".  She seems to have an equally Christian and flexible husband who is very supportive.


I am slowly getting through "Healing at the Speed of Sound" by Campbell and Doman, inspired by reading "The Universal Sense" (which is about hearing and sound) and my subsequent following Seth Horowitz, PhD on Twitter.  Horowitz is a sound and neurology scientist and has alerted me to the presence and influence of sound, especially music.


"Our Inner Ape" by Frans de Waal is a surprising book.  I don't think of myself and my family and friends as primates but as I listen to de Waal, it is clear that much of what I do each day is dictated by a nervous system and biology that is quite similar to that of the chimpanzees and the bonobos and the capuchin monkeys.  We arrange for reproduction and sex a little differently in that we use pair-bonding (couples falling in love) much more that the other branches of the primates.


"I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You" by Courtney Maum is a novel about an English artist and a French woman lawyer.  It is well written but it was the title that drew me in originally.  I enjoy visiting the upper middle class atmosphere of her family's home and customs but I get a little impatient with the two of them and their families sometimes.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby