Monday, August 6, 2012

Poetry off the cuff

What happens to one of us can happen, through language and imagination, to any of us.  Ideas, and phrases for carrying them, in one mind may be of help to another.  That is why we read and write and speak and talk.

A friend with great energy and insight, retired communication professor C.Y. Allen, took part of a recent blog post and quoted it as words that struck him.  Professor Allen is an ordained minister and the son and grandson of ministers. That is the colored part below..

"...the way to an unencumbered nothing [Sounds peaceful to me today.] that still nevertheless matters,..."


Later, he wrote:

Just passed your daily heart medicine to my longest living and now dying friend.  For him to be unencumbered is my soul cry into the universe.  Maybe unencumbered is a euphemism but better than "passed," "joined the angels," "went to Jesus," "left us after a courageous battle," and on and on.  I agree in amazement at the seeming fact of science that what may appear as nothing is always something and that transformation of the particles and not annihilation seems the reality.  Of course we often crave the transformation to somehow approximate what we already think we have been but the unknown new creation may prove more interesting after all.  Started as  pieces of big bang, moved to stardom, to human, to???  I, at my best, look forward to the experience though I may be oblivious.  That obliviousness will not be a new event for me anyway.


I asked him if I could post his statement and he said that would be all right. I wrote

Very deep thank you!  This paragraph you sent is poetry:

Just passed your daily heart medicine to my longest living and now dying friend.  Love!


For him to be unencumbered is my soul cry into the universe.  Hope for him: peace, free from care, stress, worry, fear


Maybe unencumbered is a euphemism but better than "passed," "joined the angels," "went to Jesus," "left us after a courageous battle," and on and on.  List of expressions we use for what we vaguely see ahead but don't and can't understand


I agree in amazement at the seeming fact of science that what may appear as nothing is always something and that transformation of the particles and not annihilation seems the reality.  The whole shebang is unbelievable, amazing, improbable, just like we ourselves


Of course we often crave the transformation to somehow approximate what we already think we have been but the unknown new creation may prove more interesting after all.  We often have no images to hope with except what we THINK we have experienced A favorite from my Unitarian Sunday school days: (1 John 3:2) "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be"


Started as  pieces of big bang, moved to stardom, to human, to???  I, at my best, look forward to the experience though I may be oblivious.  Oblivion like the stars' oblivion, like that of the rabbits and newborn


That obliviousness will not be a new event for me anyway.  Here, the poet is funny and self-effacing but speaks the truth that we are all always in something of a fog all the time.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby