Saturday, April 18, 2009

What is the point of games?

 
I have never been much of a gamer.  I haven't done puzzles much and rarely played cards.   What is the point?  I'd rather read Simon Winchester's The Map That Changed the World and be there as a British railway engineer and planner begins to understand the layers of the earth.  When a 500 piece puzzle is finished, what do I actually have?
 
Well, I am learning.  It actually started on a cruise to the southern bits of Alaska.  Each day, the ship would publish a Sudoku puzzle.  I had learned accidentally that those puzzles depended on the placement of symbols only and that other markers than numerals could be used.  We even found a children's version that used little pictures of animals instead of the numerical characters.  We would sit together about 4 PM each day and there on the table was the day's Sudoku.  Lynn does all sorts of puzzles and she began to show me how to do them.  It became a ritual with us, do one together at drink time.  Lynn would coach me and look for errors and oversights.
 
Before long, I wondered about known strategies and even methods for producing the puzzles by computer.  I bought some books.  That's a natural step for me: buy some books about whatever.  They rarely hurt and usually help understand what is going on.  
 
Years before the cruise, I had read the latest Herbert Benson book, "The Breakout Principle".  He is the main author of The Relaxation Response, the book that helped me understand basic practices of meditation. http://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/Home/life-classes/meditation-steps I was surprised to read his statement that reading or knitting put the mind in a state similar to that achieved by meditation or use of biofeedback. 
 
I was quite aware that starting to do Sudoku was a new thing for me.  I tried to watch my feelings and attitudes as I got into doing the puzzles.  Rick Mitchell, PhD, helped me watch my attitude toward getting to a solution with a puzzle or a problem.  Keep the failure feeling low and stay with it.  Don't expect perfection and apply effort repeatedly. 
 
Now, a year and a half later, I love sailing through a Sudoku.  I am a wimp and only do easy ones.  I tried that business of little notes in the corners of each cell, using pencil and lots of erasing.  No thanks, too much like work.  Even with a Kappa Sudoku book of all easy ones, I get careless.  All done, I check the answers.  Errors!  Oversights!  Luckily, I know there are over 2 billion possible Sudoku arrangements, not even counting the newer, more complex forms.  I cheerfully proceed to another.  I would have to live another 5.5 million years to do work through them all.  It is a comfort when I do slide through an easy one and find it all right.
 
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby