Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ads and computers these days

If your computer uses Windows XP or Vista, you need Internet Explorer to get important system updates. It is possible to not use Windows for an operating system and use Linux or something else instead. Maybe you know that Linux was originally written "for fun" by a Finnish software engineer and it has blossomed into a much respected and increasingly used operating system. It is an open system that can be used and modified by all who are interested. I have considered trying to install Linux (probably available in multiple places, including "Red Hat" that took on the business of selling the system). I recently bought a very good little "netbook" computer from Amazon.com. It is an ASUS 1000, an excellent little machine for the very good price of $375. It was mentioned in some posts as being a Linux machine

I just downloaded Internet Explorer 8. It seems to be creeping a little closer to letting people set the program as they want it.

One general problem with spam is that every once in a while, a surprise ad does indeed tell you something you are happy to learn about. And, the current media-saturated world is partly build on the assumption that people will be happy to learn of a better mouse trap. So, it has been difficult, I guess, to get people to agree on what is unwanted junk mail in your physical mailbox or the inbox of your email.
Grouchy, short-sighted, limited, in-a-rut or not, I seem to moving steadily toward stopping all contacts I don't think I want. I do look at Google news, two state newspapers, four blogs and a very active website about the modern communication/computing world. I am in contact with others face to face and by phone and email. All in all, it doesn't seem too likely that I am going to miss some wonderful development because of being isolated.

I did used to joke about the need for halting the teaching of teens about keeping up with the world and begin teaching about how to protect, defend and control who gets personal attention. Now, it is not a joke.
Bill

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby